For our Foodie Feature, we invited our local chefs to contribute their recipes for something delicious – and they haven’t disappointed. Our selection here demonstrates the breadth of local foodie know-how. From a cocktail starter, to brunch, a meat course, a fish course, a vegetarian course, and finishing with a sweet dessert, we’ve got it covered. This brunch recipe comes from The Angel Hotel, Abergavenny.
- 6 Slices of Trealy Farm black pudding
- 2 Free range organic hen’s eggs.
- 1 Portobello Mushroom
- 2 Slices Pancetta
- Bloody Mary Ketchup
- Tendril pea shoots to garnish
- To make the Bloody Mary Ketchup, mix 100ml ketchup, 25ml of Chase vodka, tobasco and Worcestershire to taste. Pinch of salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Soft boil the egg for 5½ mins, refresh in ice water, peel and coat in panko breadcrumbs by rolling in seasoned cornflour, beaten egg and then in the breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry in rapeseed oil at 180°C for 1 min. Drain and keep aside.
- Butter a peeled portobello mushroom and season well. Place in a tin foil parcel with a spring of thyme.
- Roast in the parcel at 180°C for 15 mins.
- Remove from oven, add a good splash of Worcestershire Sauce and cut into six wedges.
- Grill slices of pancetta until crisp and keep to one side.
- Slice the black pudding into 1cm slices and place under a hot, preheated grill for 2 mins each side.
- Dress the plate with the spiced tomato sauce. Add the mushroom, grilled black pudding, pancetta crisp and the egg. Finally, garnish with some tendril pea shoots.