Focus Magazines The local magazines for Abergavenny, Crickhowell, Brecon & Talgarth – Events, News and Advertising

Category Archives: Community

Keep Abergavenny Tidy

Keep Abergavenny Tidy (KAT) has introduced monthly litter picks for volunteers to tackle rubbish hot spots and help to keep the town looking its very best throughout 2020 – and beyond. Two group litter picks will be held in January: The first on Saturday, January 4th between 10.30am and 12.30pm. Meet at the Youth and […]

Abergavenny Isca Probus Club

A NEW Year! Are you NEWly retired or semi-retired? – Are you NEW to the Abergavenny area? Want to make NEW friends? A Probus Club may be just what you are looking for. Abergavenny Isca Probus Club was established in 1979, and is a locally-based association of retired or semi-retired PROfessional and BUSiness people, and […]

Learning to Spin with The Crickhowell Guild of Weavers Spinners and Dyers

NEW YEAR – NEW SKILL? The Crickhowell Guild of Weavers Spinners and Dyers is a vibrant Guild, promoting textile crafts and offering beginners spinning and weaving courses. The Guild is running a 4 day spinning course starting over the weekend of 15 and 16 February, followed by Thursdays 20 and 27 February. This course would […]

New Beginnings at Abergavenny Community Centre

We are delighted to announce the recent completion of the new Welcome Room. This warm, bright reception area, along with new toilet facilities has recently been built using a generous grant awarded by the Garfield Weston Anniversary Fund charitable trust, and the Abergavenny Town Council, whose funding has been used to create another heating zone, […]

‘Twice Upon a Time’ Charity Benefit for Nevill Hall

In May of 2015 I bit into a sandwich, heard a click inside my head and found myself in severe pain. I went straight to my dentist who sent me to hospital. So began a summer of tests and biopsies. In August of that year I was told I had a rare cancer in my […]

Monmouthshire Remembers

Last year for the Armistice centenary, school children across Monmouthshire who are part of the world’s largest youth organisation, embarked on events to commemorate the centenary of the end of WW1. Across the county, 811 youth members of the Scouting association from 6 year old beavers to 18 year old explorers and 206 uniformed adult […]

Learn Massage at Abergavenny Community Centre

The idea that if we feel good in ourselves we also bring good to the world around us, is at the heart of a community massage project that’s held at the community centre each month. The sessions are led by MTI Holistic Massage therapists Alice Sidwell and Fran Higginson, who are creating a safe, relaxed […]

Christmas Card Shop, Brecon

The festive season is under way in Brecon and the Cards for Good Causes charity Christmas card shop is open in St Mary’s Church, Steeple Lane (off High Street), Brecon until Tuesday 17th December. Buying Christmas cards through Cards for Good Causes is the best way to get access to the widest selection of Christmas […]

Home Education

Some call it home educating or homeschooling, others call it unschooling, freeschooling and flexischooling. Whatever term you prefer, it’s the process of providing an education to your child predominantly in the home environment, rather than sending them to a school. We invited home educator, Emily, to tell us in her own words about why and […]

Miscarriage: A Silent Grief

Deciding to have children and build a family is an exciting time in anyone’s life. However, miscarriage is the most common kind of pregnancy loss, affecting around one in every four pregnancies. And yet it is rarely openly discussed, leaving many women blaming themselves for their loss. Here Hannah Mlatem shares with us her own […]

Please support our local businesses